Thursday, January 14, 2010

N is for Notes

I'm writing this morning with the N music already tantalizing my ears, waking my mind, and bringing a nascent smile to my face....

N does not have many choices for us, but they are good ones.

We have several albums of the Newsboys, our favorite Christian group. High energy, good harmonies, solid lyrics... You gotta love 'em. Lead singer Peter Furler recently departed the group and was replaced by Michael Tait, formerly of DC Talk. The feel won't be quite the same...but I think they'll still rock.

A mix CD of the music of New Orleans is also on tap. I want my boys to learn the Neville Brothers' song Brothers. Our favorite on this album though is Allen Toussaint's deliciously groovy Funky Bars, which has some of the dumbest lyrics ever...but sounds so good you don't care!

For the unfamiliar choices, I have two Nina Simone albums to get acquainted with. And as I mentioned above, I am imbibing some intoxicating tones along with my morning coffee. Now playing is violinist Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg with guitarists Sergio and Odair Assad. The music has a stirring gypsy flair...a glorious way to start the day!

I couldn't find any videos from this album, but here's Nadja Salerno-Sonnenberg.

No comments:

Post a Comment