Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Music, Mean Moms, and Many Michaels

Well, I didn't get as much of L listened to as I would have liked. Ahhh the price you pay for raising musicians. A lot of the the music of the day involved small people practicing piano and then jamming on the new electric keyboard.

They got the keyboard for Christmas. Every night I take the power cord and I don't give it back the next day until they've practiced piano. Meeeean Music Mommy! And it's January, which means it's time for my oldest son (he's almost 12) to do his annual "I don't really wanna play piano" mope. We had our usual chat about he's way too good at it to waste the skill, and how I can find hoardes of adults on any given day who wish they had learned, and how if he never touches it again after he's grown up that's fine but it won't be MY fault he doesn't know how to play.... ;) But when he was practicing, I think I really hit on something that will help. I started telling him, conversationally rather than mommy-lecturish, about the neurological impact of working towards playing an instrument. He was intrigued. He loves sports and likes working out. So I pointed out to him that practicing an instrument was a workout for his brain. We're going to start studying that more in depth in days to come. Here's hoping!

Anyway. Today's letter is M. And appaently today's name is Michael since we have no less than seven albums just by Michaels. Specifically Michael Buble, Michael Franti, and Michael Jackson. We also have Miles Davis, Marc Cohn, Marc Anthony, Madou Djembe, Mario Otero, Matt Cattingub, Mandy Patinkin, Morphine, mixes of Motown, and Mundial Muzique.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!

The Marc Cohn is a new album, The Rainy Season, I picked up at the thrift store. I had his self-titled one when I was much younger... I think we'll start out with that one and do some Miles Davis today. Also the Mundial Muzique has not been listened to yet. Then I shall earn cool-mom points by playing Michael Jackson in the car.

In the meantime...If you only know Mandy Patinkin from Inigo Montoya or Criminal Minds, you're missing out! His singing is incredible! Check this out!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I haven't seen him since Princess Bride. He could outsing that Siscilian anyday! Such control in his voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yup! I think I first heard him sing in Dick Tracy...then I started buying his cds. Experiment is lovely, and so is Oscar and Steve.

    ReplyDelete