Friday, January 8, 2010

H is for...

So yesterday was G. We started off the morning with Genesis - Turn It On Again. I always knew I was a Phil Collins fan, but I had never realized how many Genesis songs I already knew and loved until picking up a few albums at Goodwill. The opening of Tonight, Tonight is so freakin' cool! And I think Congo will be a new favorite.

After Genesis, we played Glenn Miller. Not the best house-cleaning music, I'll admit. But certainly a mood setter. ;) I wanted to throw on a WAC uniform and start dancing! And the drumming reminds me, we need a new set of brushes for our kit!

Next was Gershwin while I cooked lunch and the boys had their drum lessons out in the garage. Our drum teacher made a house call. The mix I was listening to featured Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holliday, Joe Williams and more... What more need I say? S'wonderful!

And then finally we did listen to some Glenn Kotche in the car. His percussion album is an interesting choice for driving. I was almost mesmerized...which is not necessarily a good thing on the interstate. ;)

I'm excited about today's adventures in the letter H. We have lots of choices.

Hall & Oates

Happy Feet Soundtrack (which is some of the best upbeat get-yer-body moving music ever, and MAN could Brittany Murphy sing)

Harry Connick Jr...no less than 8 albums. We need to spend more time listening to the unfamiliar ones like Harry on Broadway and 30. She is probably the boys' favorite.

Herbie Hancock... Herbie is a recent addition to our musical library. I picked up Possibilities back in the Fall. That album is chock-full of the most incredible collaborations. John Mayer's Stitched Up is ridiculously catchy, and the version of When Love Comes to Town with Jonny Lang and Joss Stone stopped me in my tracks. It seems heretical to think that someone could improve on the original...but maybe...just maybe.... ;) Anyway, we now have 3 albums of Herbie and one hasn't been played yet.

Holst - The Planets

Hootie & The Blowfish...and old favorite from college days. They still sound great. But I can't get my brain wrapped around Darius Rucker's having gone country! O_O

Howard Jones...The first big concert I ever went to was Howard Jones back in 86. He was fantastic. I never thought he got the attention he deserved. I have plenty of his old 80s hits...but also a much newer album Working In The Backroom which is quite evocative.

So. There are our options for the letter H. I think we'll start with Herbie and Holst and go from there.

Here's a groovy view of Herbie Hancock and John Mayer from the Possibilities documentary...

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you on here!!
    Happy New Year to you from Seattle!

    ReplyDelete